Donkey Kong is the primary wielder of the Coconut Gun and the character that represents the "DK Rap" meme. He is a contestant in the King for Another Day Tournament. He also has a minor cameo role in the Christmas Comeback Crisis.
Summary[edit | edit source]
Donkey Kong is a brown gorilla with a red necktie with his initials on it, serving as the protagonist of the game series of the same name and a recurring character in Mario spinoff games. The original Donkey Kong was the barrel-throwing antagonist in the arcade game Donkey Kong where both he and Mario debuted; he reappeared in two sequels before disappearing from gaming for a while as Mario had proved to be much more popular.
The modern incarnation of Donkey Kong, stated to be either the son or grandson of the original (now known as Cranky Kong), debuted in Donkey Kong Country, and since then has made numerous appearances in his own games and Mario spinoff games, as well as a few spinoffs of his own, gaining numerous Kong friends and various enemies in the process. In Donkey Kong 64, he's the character you start as and he must rescue the other four on his quest to retrieve the Golden Bananas. Each character gets a ranged weapon, and DK's is of course the Coconut Gun.
Christmas Comeback Crisis[edit | edit source]
Donkey Kong was one of the figments materialized into the real world by the Voice Inside Your Head in "Prologue", before being immediately taken by the Patrol-Bots. As of "Loves the Ladies", he is still in captivity.
- "Here he comes, banana slamma! Straight from the hit CGI television series, Donkey Kong swings into action. He’s bigger, faster, and stronger than ever, and ready to prove himself ready to rule the isle of Kongo Bongo. With a sourcelist featuring all the awesome music from his TV show and more, he’s sure to take advantage of this rare opportunity!"
- —Donkey Kong's description on the MOJO!!
Donkey Kong was revealed in the "SiIvaGunner: King for Another Day Tournament Direct 9.21.2019". It is worth noting that the Donkey Kong that appears in the tournament is the cartoon version of Donkey Kong, rather than the game version which was seen the CCC.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Lines without a link come from the "All Vs/Victory Lines" video.
VS[edit | edit source]
|Against||Donkey Kong's quote|
|"I've been a robot before, and had twice as much grace as you! Bring it, ya burly bucket of bolts!"|
|"What the-?! How did you get out of Cranky's trash can?!"|
|"Hey! You mind if you give me an autograph for little ol' Candy? She loves tomboy bands!"|
|"H-hey! Ghost dude! Wait.. are you just a hologram?"|
|"Hey! Y-you're those interplanetary visitor dudes that Funky warned me about!"|
|"I'm not YOUR Donkey Kong, old timers! I'm a changed ape!"|
|"I-I'm begging you dudes! Don't give me p-paralysis! Every Kong needs their s-s-sleep!"|
|"Diddy! get the Coconut Gun ready! If this guy wants bullets, we'll give 'em to him!"|
|"I know what you're here for and I know what you're thinkin', but the Crystal Coconut is not an "Infinity Stone", or whatever you call it! So either scram or get Banana Slammed!|
|"Klump?! Krusha?! Is that you?"|
|"Another greedy King to deal with, another giant-sized punching bag I'm gonna put to good use!"|
|"Bring all of the toys you want, the only weapon I need is my Coconut Gun to best you!"|
|"I hope you're ready for me to lay down the Jungle Beats!"|
|"A robot... is this another one of your schemes, K. Rool?!"|
|"Wow! You're one of those rock star dudes! Y'know...I know someone who'd love to be a star like you!"|
|"Your style reminds me of a certain Kong! You should meet him; he'd love you!"|
|"You can keep your money! As long as you keep your claws offa my bananas, this'll be quick and painless!"|
|"Hey there, Miss! If Donkey Konga ever makes a comeback, do ya mind contributing songs to the soundtrack?"|
|"Believe me, you're not the first obese lowlife that I've ever had to make an example out of!"|
|"Well well well, if it isn't the Metal Head and his little buddy!"|
|"No way! I'm gonna need this hair for my date with Candy!"|
|"Monkey? We're kongs over here, fool! Prepare for some Kong-fu action!"|
|"No helicopter backpack? This outta be a piece of banana pie!"|
|"A Snowmad? I thought I defeated them all..."|
|"Man, I've got a bunch of bananas I don't know what to do with! Unless..."|
|"If it's rhythm you want, then it's what you'll get! It's time for some Donkey Konga!"|
|"There is nothing a little television can't do to rumble me, baby!"|
|"I knew K. Rool was a scientist, but I didn't think he was capable of creating a monster!"|
|"You guys sound alright, but you're missing out on the KONGAS!"|
|"Sixth member of D-Funct 12, meet the first member of the evergoing DK Crew!"|
|"I gotta say, buddy, I'm diggin' the slick hair and tie, but you lose cool points for bringing a teddy bear with you."|
Victory[edit | edit source]
|Against||Donkey Kong's quote|
|"Now make like a banana and split!"|
|"Cranky was right! There was really no hope for you!"|
|"I'm gonna be late for my date! Oh man, Candy better not be mad I beat you three..."|
|"It seems that you two are great at being bad!"|
|"Take your green goo back to the planet it came from!"|
|"Guess the video game industry is too much for you, huh? Wanna help with a Coconut Chill business? I heard Bluster is still hiring!"|
|"Am I neuralyzed? I'm not a slave right now, right?"|
|"Hey, how about I come up with my OWN genre! How about "Coconut Catastrophe"!"|
|"I thought I was nobody's hero, but it turns out I'm half of Kong-kind's!"|
|"That's for everything you did to Cranky! ...Wait, sorry, I'm thinking about someone else..."|
|"Different King, same result! It's not so funny now, isn't it..."|
|"Sorry pal, hiding you gets you nowhere. Trust me, I tried hiding my bananas, just see how that turned out..."|
|"Sorry old man, but it seems you got a bit rusty. I'm sure Cranky would like some new friends anyway!"|
|"If I see you with a robot version of my girl, I'll bust you into bits!"|
|"I can see it now...the crowd will begin to cheer!"|
|"Sorry, buddy, but this ape doesn't do the monkey."|
|"Wow, now neither Bluster OR K. Rool can compare to how greedy you are!"|
|"Future Funk? I think I just proved the DK Crew's got all the funk you need, girl! Just go talk with Funky!"|
|"It's time you get a DEMOTION!"|
|"Harder, BIGGER, faster, stronger!"|
|"Y'know, if you can set up me and Candy a nice banana topped pasta dinner, I'd owe ya one!"|
|"You two reminded me a lot of me and Diddy, make sure your friendship doesn't turn out like and elevator and go down!"|
|"Sorry, I've fought with a big green dude before, you'd be better off as his sidekick!"|
|"Me like snow! Me like ice! Me...don't know why I'm talking like this..."|
|"Jackpot! Now it's time to make some banana cream pie like Mama Kong used to make!"|
|"Some rhythm masters you are! If you had moves as graceful as mine, you woulda had a chance."|
|"I need a replacement anyway, my old television just won't stop showing compilations of villains..."|
|"Turns out, you're just a failure like all K. Rool's other experiments."|
|"Are you available for bookings? Our next annual Kongo Bongo Ceasefire could really use some live music!"|
|"It isn't real salsa music if you don't have the kongas!"|
|"(Psst... hey, give me your information whenever. Diddy's been going through some tax issues lately.)"|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Donkey Kong is the first of two King for a Day characters who also have a counterpart in the CCC universe, the second being Phoenix Wright of Law & Disorder.
- Donkey Kong is the fourth character in the King for a Day series to be a playable fighter in the Super Smash Bros. series. He is followed with Wario, King Dedede and Solid Snake.
- He is also the only newcomer in the King for Another Day Tournament to be playable in the Super Smash Bros. series.
- Additionally, Donkey Kong is the only King for a Day competitor who is playable in every official installment of the Super Smash Bros. series, with the other three not joining the roster until Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- Donkey Kong is the only newcomer in the King for Another Day Tournament chosen by popularity to make it past Round 1.
- Donkey Kong's shadow in his King for Another Day portrait resembles a bunch of bananas. It also has the same color gradient as the word "Donkey Kong" in the Donkey Kong Country logo.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- His vs. quote against Metal Ajit Pai references the Donkey Kong Country cartoon episode "The Big Switch-A-Roo" where Donkey Kong transferred his brain with a robot.
- His vs. quote against "Weird Al" Yankovic references the Donkey Kong Country song "Holograms".
- His victory quote against "Weird Al" Yankovic references Michael Jackson's song "Bad", as well as the Donkey Kong Country cartoon song "Be Bad".
- His vs. quote against Pitbull and the Aliens references the Donkey Kong Country cartoon episode "Watch the Skies", where Funky shares information about the "interplanetary visitor dudes" with Donkey Kong.
- His victory quote against Nintendo Power references the Donkey Kong Country cartoon episode "The Big Chill Out", where Donkey Kong and Diddy runs a business after accidentally making a delicious cold drink, "Coconut Chill", during a hot spell on the island.
- His vs. quote against Men in Black references the video "Imagine having sleep paralysis and seeing this at the foot of bed" which is the earliest one known for its use of the green screen video featuring Howard the Alien and the song "Money Longer" by Lil Uzi Vert which became a meme.
- His vs. quotes against ZUN and Solid Snake references the Coconut Gun from the infamous Donkey Kong 64 song "DK Rap".
- His victory quote against Thanos references the Donkey Kong Country cartoon song "I'm Nobody's Hero".
- His vs. quote against Wario Partners, LLP includes Donkey Kong mistaking them as General Klump and Krusha.
- His vs. quote against DJ Professor K references the game Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.
- His quotes against Adam Levine reference the Donkey Kong Country cartoon song "I'm Gonna Be A Star".
- His vs. quotes against Mariya Takeuchi and Rhythm Masters references the rhythm game Donkey Konga.
- His victory quote against Dr. Robotnik references his "I'll have to give myself a promotion!" line from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, with the line altered to have the opposite meaning.
- His vs. quote against Daft Punk ft. Pharrell references the Donkey Kong Country cartoon song "Metal Head".
- His victory quote against Daft Punk ft. Pharrell references the song "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger".
- His vs. quote against Jack Bros. references the Snowmads, who are a tribe of vikings and are the main antagonists in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.
- His victory quote against Jack Bros. references Eddie the Mean Old Yeti from the Donkey Kong Country cartoon, who speaks in the same manner as Mothman.
- His vs. quote against Nico Nico references the 音MAD video "Rumble me baby".
- His victory quote against Nico Nico references King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie's reveal trailer in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which starts with Donkey Kong watching TV showing various Nintendo villains.
- His vs. quote against Eminem references a line from the DK Rap, with the lyrics altered to reference Enimem's former band D12.
- His victory quote against The Jazz Cats references the Kongo Bongo