Inspector Gadget is the titular character from the 1983 French-Canadian-American cartoon Inspector Gadget and a character in the SiIvaGunner lore. He appeared as a channel host during The SilvaGunner Christmas Comeback Crisis.
Inspector Gadget first appeared in the comedy cartoon of the same name that originally aired from 1983 to 1986. In this show, Inspector Gadget is a cyborg detective who wants to destroy MAD, a criminal syndicate run by Dr. Claw. Despite his many machines, Gadget is clueless and his niece Penny and dog Brain are usually doing his work. Gadget had two main catchphrases, "Go Go Gadget!" and "Wowzers!", which are both used on the channel and Twitter.
The introduction for the Inspector Gadget series was composed by Shuki Levy under the label Saban Records (Saban Music Group). It may be impossible to know if he's the true composer, as it was discovered 1998 that many of these compositions were ghostwritten by other composers, in order for Levy and Haim Saban to gain control of all publishing rights and music royalty revenue. It was inspired by the classical music song "In the Hall of the Mountain King" from composer Edvard Grieg. In the show, several variations of Inspector Gadget's theme in different styles are used as background music.
As a meme
The character's memetic popularity originates from a video of James Rolfe (a.k.a the Angry Video Game Nerd) and Mike Matei of Cinemassacre reviewing the "DiC's Easy Play" feature on a DVD for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show!. This feature consists in a lengthy explanation done by Inspector Gadget (who is otherwise absent in any form from the DVD) aimed to instruct younger audiences on how to operate a DVD player.
Following that video, Inspector Gadget became a running inside joke on Cinemassacre, going into cumbersome and awkward ways to explain simple things.
On May 11, 2012, Matei uploaded a video called "Minecraft with Gadget", which featured Matei and a drawing of Inspector Gadget reviewing the game Minecraft Pocket Edition. A lot of the video consists of Inspector Gadget mispronouncing the name Minecraft, as either "Mineycrafta" or "Minecrap", and frequently repeating lines. Some notable lines from the video include:
- "I'm better than you are, so I should do the review."
- "You can shut up now. I'm always on duty!"
- "Oh, Minecrap! I cannot wait to play Minecrap. Do you know what my favorite thing to do is in Minecrap? I love building bricks with Minecrap. Building bricks with Minecrap is the best thing and the most amount of fun you can have while playing an app. I understand why all the kids are playing this game these days -- it's because they like to build brown bricks with Minecrap. I also like to build brown bricks with Minecrap. It's the most fun you can possibly have. What is the point of Minecrap?"
- "He's a nerd and I hate nerds more than I hate MAD agents. What an asshole."
- (after killing Matei with a laser) "Oh, look! A free iPad!"
The video was almost unanimously panned by audiences and subsequently removed from Cinemassacre's YouTube channel and website. Following this, many people began to re-upload the video onto YouTube. Matei noticed this and, believing it was his right to keep it off the Internet, began taking down these re-uploads using YouTube's copyright system.On May 9, 2020, the video was re-uploaded on Cinemassacre Plays, Cinemassacre's second channel.
- See also: Category:Rips featuring Inspector Gadget and Category:Rips featuring Minecraft with Gadget
The original "Minecraft with Gadget" video is occasionally sampled in high quality rips, like in "Minecraft (OST Version) - Minecraft" and "Bramble Blast (OST Version) - Super Smash Bros. Brawl". The rip "Become as Gods (Birth of a Wish) - NieR: Automata" is dedicated to "Minecraft with Gadget" and was temporarily the featured video on the channel.
In The Christmas Comeback Crisis
After The Voice Inside Your Head angered President Haltmann by failing to resurrect his daughter, Haltmann spent days working on a secret project that turned out to be Inspector Gadget. Gadget then trashed The Voice's office in "[AUDIOLOG: 19:27, HEAD_OFFICE]" and replaced him as the channel's host and on Twitter.
Much like the Cinemassacre version, he enjoys "Miney Crafta" as well as Twitter. He also expressed his distaste of Terraria (which is a 2D game, similar to Minecraft). He also claims that "Penny is here to have [his] back", but its unconfirmed at this point if he is delusional or if Haltmann also built a Mecha Penny; it is also strange for him to say that, as the character is usually unaware of Penny saving him in the original source material.
Inspector Gadget was "terminated" on May 26 in "An announcement from your new leader" at the request of "Mark Timotei" (a reference to Mike Matei and the DMCA claims on reuploads of "Minecraft with Gadget"). After Gadget's termination, President Haltmann became the new channel host and an album was released in Gadget's honor.
In Season 3
|This section is incomplete. Help SiIvaGunner Wiki by finishing it.
On April Fools' Day 2018, Gadget returned to take over the channel again. This Gadget takeover however, was contested by Doug Walker of Nostalgia Critic. The conflict was characterized by motifs of the Nostalgia Critic and AVGN themes in addition to the standard Inspector Gadget rips. The conflict subsided with Nostalgia Critic as the victor, who subsequently uploaded a series of "nostalgia" themed rips featuring classical motifs such as 7 GRAND DAD and Snow Halation. Doug Walker relinquished control of the channel the following week.
Click "Expand" to see the transcript of "Minecraft with Gadget"
Transcript from 101mariofreak.
- After the termination of Inspector Gadget on the channel, Mike Matei made a post on the Cinemassacre subreddit giving his opinion on, among other things, "Minecraft with Gadget" and the recent use of it in "music-parodies" on the Internet. He said that some of the creations made using the video were pretty well-done, citing the rip "Calm - Minecraft" in particular. He also said that he should not have attempted to take down the video and that the fact that it was still on the Internet didn't matter.
- Rips featuring Inspector Gadget - YouTube playlist by Aidan Zamboni.
- Rips featuring Minecraft with Gadget - YouTube playlist by Aidan Zamboni.
- "Inspector Gadget (character)" on Inspector Gadget Wiki
- "Penny" on Inspector Gadget Wiki
- "Shuki Levy" "Biography" subsection. Wikipedia
- "Inspector Gadget (1983 TV series)". "Music" subsection. Wikipedia
- "Super Mario Bros Super Show DVD Menu Screen Review" on Cinemassacre.com
- "How to use Cinemassacre.com" on Cinemassacre.com
- "Minecraft with Gadget | Cinemassacre Productions" - Archived on Wayback Machine
- shedding some light - Mike Matei - TheCinemassacre - Reddit
- "Minecraft with Gadget" Re-upload - YouTube
- What's the joke behind "brown bricks in minecraft"? - Sleepycabin Subreddit
- Another "Minecraft with Gadget" re-upload - YouTube
- @GiIvaSunner on Twitter - May 15, 2017
- @GiIvaSunner on Twitter - May 15, 2017
- @GiIvaSunner on Twitter - May 15, 2017
- @GiIvaSunner on Twitter - May 15, 2016
- YouTube comment on "Minecraft with Gadget (Reupload)" - YouTube
Wood Man • The Voice Inside Your Head• Gadgetini Clone 2.0 • President Haltmann • Chad Warden • The SiIva A.I. • Nostalgia Critic • Todd Howard • John Notwoodman • Unregistered HyperCam 2 • The Grinch • DJ Professor K • Phineas and Ferb • Dr. Doofenshmirtz • Vladimir Putin • Gabe Newell • Ajit Pai
Grand Dad • Smol Nozomi • Loud Nigra • Robbie Rotten • Mr Rental • Inspector Gadget • Felix the Cat • Sens • Tito Dick • Haruka Amami • Donkey Kong • Green de la Bean • HH • Monika
Rapper's Union (Snoop Dogg • Soulja Boy • Chip tha Ripper • Charles Barkley) • Bob Dylan • Angry Joe • Nathaniel Welchert • JustinRPG • Kazoo Master • Nutshackwoodman34
The SilvaGunner Christmas Comeback Crisis
Meta Knight • Santa Claus • Parappa • Patrol-Bot • Spheric (Smolitzer) • Stringbot • Waluigi • Minor characters
|General||Memes: Inspector Gadget (Minecraft with Gadget)|
|Events||Inspector Gadget Takeover • April Fools' Day 2018|
|Albums||Inspector Gunner • Inspector Gunner 2 With Critic|
|Main series||Mission 1 – Global Terror! • SNES (GiIvaSunner) • Gadget's Crazy Maze • Advance Mission • Mad Robots Invasion • Gadget & the Gadgetinis • Gadget's MAD Dash|
|General||Composers: Daniel "C418" Rosenfeld • Lena Raine
Memes: Minecraft with Gadget
|Events||Minecraft 10th Anniversary • Revenge 8th Anniversary|
|Spin-offs||Story Mode • Dungeons • 2.0 • 3D Shareware|
|Crossovers||Super Meat Boy • Terraria (Calamity Mod • Spirit Mod) • The Stanley Parable • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate|
|Mods||Twilight Forest Mod|
|Fake games||Undertale 2|