Mariya Takeuchi is a Japanese singer known in the West for her song "Plastic Love", which went viral on YouTube in 2018 due to frequently appearing in recommendations. She is a competitor in the King for Another Day Tournament. She was added in as a unique fan submission.
- Mariya Takeuchi, creator of the hit song “Plastic Love,” has made her way into the battle! Born in 1955, she is one of the oldest fighters on the roster, but we highly recommend that you don’t underestimate her. They say her music has the power to control the algorithm of life itself.
- —Mariya Takeuchi's description on the MOJO!!
Mariya Takeuchi was revealed in the beginning of the "SiIva Direct 4.1.2019". Her source list was revealed to not only include songs by her, but also any song that was in the genres of city pop and future funk. On the MOJO!!, her source list was expanded to include songs from her husband, Tatsuro Yamashita.
In Round 1, Mariya Takeuchi faced the Jack Bros and lost. In Loser's Bracket, she managed to score victories against Off the Hook ft. Paruko, ZUN, Wario Partners LLP, and Jack & Elmo, before moving to fight "Weird Al" Yankovic. After beating him, she defeated The Jazz Cats and moved to the Final Four to face and defeat MissingNo. in the Loser's Final, thus making her the winner of the Loser's Bracket. She then moved on to the Finals to battle Unrestrained HyperCam 2 with DJ Professor K. She lost to DJ Professor K in the Grand Finals, and finished as the tournament's runner-up, for which she was awarded the fusion collab "11 Minutes of City Pop [Full Collab, VHS Rip]".
Lines without a link come from the "All Vs/Victory Lines" video.
|Against||Mariya Takeuchi's quote|
|"The renewed online interest towards my music has been wonderful. I'm happy to have worldwide fans on YouTube!"|
|"Your music has very high energy... I guess future funk would make for a nice match!"|
|"Wow! "Weird Al" Yankovic himself... such an honor! Is it too much to ask for a parody called "Sourest Music"?"|
|"Can't say I've been enough of a butt to be receiving presents like that from my fellow musicians."|
|"Oh no... I don't need the C. I. A!"|
|"I'm just as surprised about my fame across the world as you are."|
|"I don't think plastic would help, your hammer looks heavy enough as is."|
|"Ah yes, that's the "future funk" people are turning my music into nowadays!"|
|"I'm flattered, Mr. Presley, but I'm already taken by a funkier man."|
|"You might be thinking of Japanese pop from today's era."|
|"I'm not so sure if I could consider this "ワイティーピー" of yours to be less wretched than my music."|
|"Such a digital sound, almost like funk... but from the future!"|
|"媒る戦骨? 気味悪い・・・ 未来ではあれが普通なのかしら?"|
|"Such cool music, Mr. Jablinski! I think I'd prefer a lesson about rock instead of octagons!"|
|"E- eh, no thank you, it's just a metaphor!"|
|"Sorry, Winter Lovers, but my music is much more colorful than my looks!"|
|"I'd love to collaborate with you, this Donkey Konga you mention sounds like fun!"|
|"Your music is powerful, but your demeanor is... vulgar to say the least..."|
|"You two don't seem to be getting along very well. How about some music to lighten the mood?"|
|Grand Finals (DJ Professor K)||"No matter what happens, it's been an honor to perform by your side. For my endearing fans, I will give it my best and show you the real power of city pop! You'd better keep your guard up, Professor!"|
|Against||Mariya Takeuchi's quote|
|"I suppose the algorithm has spoken on my behalf!"|
|"Well, "Wooden Love" doesn't sound as catchy."|
|"Oh, I didn't even notice Mr. Jackson tagging along with you! Meeting such talented musicians is always a pleasure!"|
|"Sorry Mr. 305, I think I prefer 56709."|
|"Bill, I've heard you're a fan of my songs! Would you like an autograph as a farewell?"|
|"Hey, do you think you could use that "Time Stone" thing to send me home later?"|
|"Can't you see? Don't count the money you don't have, boys."|
|"I'm afraid your accent is a bit hard to follow."|
|"You may be Camouflage, but you're not my type."|
|"You will never understand the concept of love!"|
|"It seems like this boy has been living too much of a Quiet Life!"|
|"Sorry Adam, but my Sugar Babe is waiting for me at home!"|
|"I bet your love for me isn't the only plastic thing about you!"|
|"There are many ways to find happiness, but money most certainly isn't one of them!"|
|"You're too slow, both in speed and in love!"|
|"Thanks for the match, Papyrus, I never thought skeletons could be so friendly!"|
|"Thank you for your wisdom, Jack! This student has learned enough to surpass the teacher!"|
|"Thanks, doc, but I won't be needing any surgery. It's only the lyrics to my music, after all!"|
|""High Operative Baking and Ripping Technology"? Well, I guess this proves that analog sound always comes first!"|
|"As much as I like your traditional sound, Western rhythms are what get me grooving!"|
|"You've got such a nice singing voice for an ape!"|
|"Sorry, "けつばん", but this is why analog is better. Digital is often just too lifeless!"|
|"I love fusion, but your mix of genres is very odd."|
|"You two should work out your differences with a Heart to Heart, especially before a competition!"|
|Loser's Finals (MissingNo.)||"Algorithm powers or not, I'm looking forward to a great friendship, MissingNo.!"|
- Mariya is one of 4 characters to be beaten in the first round, but eventually rank higher than the character who initially defeated them. The others being Rhythm Masters, Johnny Bravo, and Dr. Robotnik. In Mariya's case, she outlasted Jack Bros, despite losing to them in Round 1.
- Making it all the way to finals from Loser's Round 1, Mariya fought in 9 rounds with 7 victories, more than any other contestant.
- This also means she has the most revealed quotes used in the tournament, the second being MissingNo.
- Mariya Takeuchi is technically the oldest and youngest real-life person represented in the King for Another Day Tournament-- she was born in 1955, making her 64 at the start of the tournament, but as a contestant, she is 29 (having been sent forward in time from 1984).
- Her quotes against Geno and Dr. Piccolo, her vs. quote against King Dedede, and her victory quote against Johnny Bravo all reference her song "Plastic Love".
- Her vs. quote against "Weird Al" Yankovic references her song "Sweetest Music", with her asking for a parody of it.
- Her victory quote against Pitbull and the Aliens references the song "Telephone Number" by Junko Ohashi, specifically the famous "awooooo, 5-6-7-0-9" lyric.
- Her victory quote against ZUN references the Japanese musician Haruomi "Harry" Hosono, leader of the group Yellow Magic Orchestra, of whom ZUN is a professed fan of.
- Her victory quote against Wario Partners, LLP references her song "Shiawase no Monosashi".
- Her quotes against Solid Snake reference her song "Camouflage".
- Her victory quote against DJ Professor K references the titular sample used in "The Concept of Love" from Jet Set Radio Future.
- Her victory quote against Quote references her album Quiet Life.
- Her vs. quote against Adam Levine references Alan Levenson, whose photograph of Mariya was used for her Sweetest Music/Morning Glory single (and later, in the YouTube upload of "Plastic Love").
- Her victory quote against Adam Levine references the band "Sugar Babe", a band which her husband, Tatsuro Yamashita, formed at the start of his career in 1973. It also doubles as a reference to the Tatsuro song "My Sugar Babe".
- Her victory quote against Mr. Krabs references her song "Natalie".
- Her victory quote against Dr. Robotnik references her song "Slow Love" and the famous "You're too slow!" line often said by his archenemy Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Her victory quote against Daft Punk ft. Pharrell references the fact that she often listened to French music in her youth, as noted by this interview.
- Her victory quote against Dr. Piccolo references the Daily Dose meme, specifically the part wherein users on 4chan would reply "Thanks, doc." to instances of the Daily Dose GIF being posted.
- Her quotes against Jack Bros. reference her song "Winter Lovers".
- Her victory quotes against HOBaRT and MissingNo. reference an ongoing debate in the music collecting community as to whether digital (CD) or analog (vinyl) is better.
- Her victory quote against Nico Nico references the "There's no f**king seat for you!" scene from the Japanese drama series Life.
- Her vs. quote against Donkey Kong references the rhythm game Donkey Konga.
- Her victory quote against Law & Disorder references her song "Heart to Heart".