Mariya Takeuchi is a Japanese singer known in the West for her song "Plastic Love", which went viral on YouTube in 2018 due to frequently appearing in recommendations. She is a competitor in the King for Another Day Tournament. She was added in as a unique fan submission, alongside Daft Punk ft. Pharrell, Dr. Piccolo, and Jack Bros..
- Mariya Takeuchi, creator of the hit song “Plastic Love,” has made her way into the battle! Born in 1955, she is one of the oldest fighters on the roster, but we highly recommend that you don’t underestimate her. They say her music has the power to control the algorithm of life itself.
- —Mariya Takeuchi's description on the MOJO!!
Mariya Takeuchi was revealed in the beginning of the "SiIva Direct 4.1.2019". Her source list was revealed to not only include songs by her, but also any song that was in the genres of city pop and future funk. On the MOJO!!, her source list was expanded to include songs from her husband, Tatsuro Yamashita.
In Round 1, Mariya Takeuchi faced the Jack Bros and lost. In Loser's Bracket, she managed to score victories against Off the Hook ft. Paruko, ZUN, Wario Partners LLP, and Jack & Elmo, before moving to fight "Weird Al" Yankovic. After beating him, she defeated The Jazz Cats and moved to the Final Four to face and defeat MissingNo. in the Loser's Final, thus making her the winner of the Loser's Bracket. She then moved on to the Finals to battle Unrestrained HyperCam 2 with DJ Professor K. She lost to DJ Professor K in the Grand Finals, and finished as the tournament's runner-up. However, she will still receive an award at a later date, due to being part of the Final 4. It is unknown what this will be.
Lines in bold were used in the tournaments.
- Mariya is one of 4 characters to be beaten in the first round, but eventually, rank higher than the character who initially defeated them. The others being Rhythm Masters, Johnny Bravo, and Dr. Robotnik. In Mariya's case, she outlasted Jack Bros, despite losing to them in Round 1.
- Making it all the way to finals from Loser's round 1, Mariya fought in 9 rounds with 7 victories, more than any other contestant.
- Mariya Takeuchi is technically the oldest and youngest real-life person represented in the King for Another Day Tournament-- she was born in 1955, making her 64 at the start of the tournament, but as a contestant she is 29 (having been sent forward in time from 1984).
- She has the most revealed quotes used in the tournament out of all the characters, the second being MissingNo..
- Her quotes against Metal Ajit Pai as well as her vs. quote against Thanos is a reference to the popularity of her song "Plastic Love" on YouTube.
- Her vs. quote against "Weird Al" Yankovic references her song "Sweetest Music", with her asking for a parody of it.
- Her victory quote against Pitbull and the Aliens references the song "Telephone Number" by Junko Ohashi, specifically the famous "awooooo, 56709" lyric.
- Her vs. quote against Nintendo Power references one of the farewell gifts Reggie received after his departure from Nintendo, with one of them being a plastic ass.
- Her victory quote against ZUN references the Japanese musician Haruomi "Harry" Hosono, leader of the group Yellow Magic Orchestra, of whom ZUN is a professed fan of.
- Her victory quote against Wario Partners, LLP references her song "Shiawase no Monosashi".
- Her quotes against Solid Snake references her song "Camouflage".
- Her victory quote against DJ Professor K references the song "The Concept of Love" from the game Jet Set Radio Future.
- Her victory quote against Quote references an album of her's titled "Quiet Life", which is also the name of a song on said album.
- Her victory quote against Adam Levine references the band "Sugar Babe", a band which her husband Tatsuro Yamashita formed at the start of his career in 1973.
- Her victory quote against Johnny Bravo references her song "Plastic Love".
- Her victory quote against Mr. Krabs references her song "Natalie".
- Her victory quote against Dr. Robotnik references her song "Slow Love" and the famous "You're too slow!" line often said by Dr. Robotnik's archenemy Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Her victory quote against Daft Punk ft. Pharrell references the fact that she listened to French music in her youth during the 1960's, as noted by this interview in The Japan Times.
- Her victory quote against Dr. Piccolo references the Daily Dose meme, specifically the part wherein users on 4chan would reply "Thanks, doc." to instances of the Daily Dose GIF being posted.
- Her vs. quote against Jack Bros. references her song "Winter Lovers".
- Her victory quote against Nico Nico references the "There's no f**king seat for you!" scene from the live-action television version of Life.
- Her vs. quote against Donkey Kong references the rhythm game Donkey Konga.
- Her victory quote against Law & Disorder references her song "Heart to Heart".