Quote is the main protagonist of Cave Story and a competitor in the King for Another Day Tournament. He was revealed to be the winner of the MAGFest 2019 character ballot, and is the first newcomer to be revealed publicly overall.
- "Huzzah! Quote is here, and he’s ready for this new adventure to begin! He may be silent, but his trusty Polar Star sure isn’t. Armed with that and music from classic indie platformers, nothing is going to stop him from claiming his rightful place as the king of indie games!"
- ―Quote's description on the MOJO!!
Lines in bold were used in the tournaments.
|[The sound of metal scraping and whirring overpowers you.]|
|[You see a puppet giving off magical energy.]|
|[You feel the beat of a certain heavenly melody thumping in your chest.]|
|[You start to get hungry. You strive to gain immense weight.]|
|[You are in shock, as your pelvis thirsts to thrust to the rhythm.]|
|[You start to question your body's readiness, but you're up to the challenge.]|
|[You've just witnessed an alien being neutralized. Those two men in suits attempt to wipe your mind.]|
|[The sound of a thousand bullets can be heard from the distance.]|
|[You feel the weight of the universe resting on your shoulders.]|
|[The stench of garlic fills your nostrils. You're in for a rotten time.]|
|[You encounter a mysterious masked figure. His hammer and strength are sure to impose.]|
|[You have been encountered! The standoff begins.]|
|[You sense a funky rhythm coming at you.]|
|[A nineties band's frontman tries to control you. You hesitate to look into his eyes.]|
|[A sense of arrogance emanates from the dimwitted impersonator.]|
|[The aroma of sweat and grease swirls around you... but mostly sweat.]|
|[A familiar video appears on the monitor. You begin to sense a strong feeling of nostalgia.]|
|[You feel as if someone is snooping around.]|
|[You've come too far to give up who you are.]|
|[Papyrus blocks the way!]|
|[You are suddenly stopped by a stop sign blocking your path.]|
|[The doctor is in. Thankfully, not in you.]|
|[The air around you suddenly feels cold and sinister.]|
|[The scent of baking materials make you feel hungry, and... Australian?]|
|[You feel an irresistable urge to tap your foot to the beat! Go for a Perfect!]|
|[This little television seems comfortable around you. Life refilled!]|
|[You suddenly feel a craving for bananas.]|
|[A sense of uneasiness and dread fills the air. This will not end well for either of you.]|
|[You feel a smooth, jazzy rhythm kick in... accompanied by the smell of tuna.]|
|[A lyrical madman encounters you. You look at what he's planning, while you're panickin' staring at mannequins.]|
|[You begin to feel as if you're on a trial for your own life.]|
- He is the only speechless character in the King for Another Day Tournament, with all of his VS quotes and interview lines stylized as text seen inside the text boxes from Cave Story.
- He and HOBaRT are the only characters to not have quotation marks in their quotes, instead, Quote uses brackets in his quotes since he is speechless and, as mentioned above, written as text seen inside the brackets.
- As an exception, there was an error in the video of Losers' Round 1, Match 4, Quote uses quotation marks in his vs. quote against Papyrus instead of the brackets, although, the brackets are inside of the quotation marks seen in the quote.
- By coincidence, him and Adam Levine are the first newcomers revealed, the last two newcomers to have their profiles posted on the MOJO!!, and got eliminated first round.
- The color pallet for the background art references Cave Story's Menu Screen background.
All of Quote's victory quotes references a special text message that appears when collecting an item from Cave Story with different descriptions based on the item itself.
- His victory quote against Geno is a reference to his Geno Beam move and the Flower Point stats from the game Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.
- His victory quote against Off the Hook ft. Paruko references the Pearlescent Crown headgear from Splatoon 2.
- His victory quote against Pitbull and the Aliens references the Pitbull song "Back in Time".
- His vs. quote against Nintendo Power references the "My Body is Ready" meme.
- His victory quote against Nintendo Power references the "I'm Using Tilt Controls!" meme which is taken from Mario Kart 8.
- His victory quote against Men in Black is a reference to the neuralyzer from the Men in Black series.
- His victory quote against Thanos references his Infinity Gauntlet and a line from the first trailer of Avengers: Infinity War.
- His victory quote against Wario Partners, LLP references the garlic taco that appeared in the Opening Scene - Waluigi's Tacostand rip.
- His victory quote against King Dedede references his Jet Hammer move from the Super Smash Bros. series.
- His victory quote against Solid Snake is a reference to Snake's bandana, known for its ability to grant him infinite ammo.
- His victory quote against DJ Professor K references the ancient record the Devil's Contract from the game Jet Set Radio.
- His quotes against Adam Levine references the Maroon 5 song "Moves Like Jagger".
- His victory quote against Johnny Bravo references the "Vat O' Hair" gel from the season 2 intro of Johnny Bravo.
- His vs. quote against Mr. Krabs references the line "The story of the Krusty Krab is the story of one man's hard work, perseverance, vision, determination and sweat. But mostly his sweat." from the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Krusty Krab Training Video".
- His victory quote against Mr. Krabs references Plankton, due to Plankton's desire to steal the Krabby Patty Secret Formula along with his tendency to perform evil laughs.
- His vs. quote against Mariya Takeuchi references the viral upload of her song "Plastic Love" on YouTube.
- His victory quote against Mariya Takeyuchi references her dual "Sweetest Music/Morning Glory" single, the cover of which was used as the thumbnail for the famous "Plastic Love" YouTube upload and is what her artwork in King for Another Day is based on.
- His vs. quote against Dr. Robotnik references his infamous quote "Snooping as usual, I see" from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.
- His victory quote against Dr. Robotnik references the Chaos Emeralds from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. The absence of the fourth emerald is a reference to the "Where's That Damn Fourth Chaos Emerald?" meme from the game Shadow the Hedgehog.
- His vs. quote against Daft Punk ft. Pharrell references their song "Get Lucky".
- His victory quote against Daft Punk ft. Pharrell references the Daft Punk song "Doin' it Right".
- His vs. quote against Papyrus references the flavor text that appears when encountering him in Undertale.
- His victory quote against Papyrus references a series of jokes based on his spaghetti.
- His victory quote against Jack & Elmo references the stop sign from Jack Black's appearance in Sesame Street.
- His victory quote against Dr. Piccolo references the Daily Dose meme.
- His victory quote against HOBaRT references the Hobart upgrade equipment, namely the Cover and Control Panel upgrades, and could also reference the Cave Story upgrade system since both Quote's upgradeable equipment and HOBaRT are mechanical equipment.
- His vs. quote against Rhythm Masters references the Tap Trial minigame from the Rhythm Heaven series, alongside the "Go for a Perfect!" line.
- His victory quote against Rhythm Masters references the Monkey Watch minigame from the Rhythm Heaven series.
- His victory quote against Nico Nico references a principle from the Fairy Philosophy and a line said by Billy Herrington from the movie Lords of the Lockerroom.
- His victory quote against Donkey Kong references the Crystal Coconut, which is an extremely powerful item in the Donkey Kong franchise.
- His victory quote against The Jazz Cats references the alto saxophone instrument which is commonly used in jazz songs. It's also the instrument that Shades use, which is the reason why the instrument is filled with pawprints.
- His vs. quote against Eminem references the video "Eminem Rapping" by Chris D'Elia.
- His victory quote against Eminem references the song "My Band", especially the appearance of the salsa at the end and its description on it.
- His victory quote against Law and Disorder references the various autopsy reports from the Ace Attorney series as well as the game Ace Attorney: Justice for All.