Thanos is a character from the Marvel comics, and a competitor in the King for a Day Tournaments. He was initially selected as a popular fan submission, being #4 in the ballot overall.
Thanos was revealed as the eleventh competitor on July 21, 2018. His source list included rips from Marvel games, as well as rips related to "Fireflies" by Owl City and rips from Fortnite. Thanos killed Ajit Pai in Match 6 of Round 1, but was ultimately defeated by Reggie in Match 3 of Round 2.
Lines without a link come from the "All Victory Fanfares and VS Lines!" video.
|"I've battled against foes wielding much more powerful hammers. Yours does not impress me."|
|"How can humans be entertained by such primitive instruments?"|
|"You ought to hope they have radio stations inside the Soul Stone."|
|"I've acquired more stones in this gauntlet than games you have completed."|
|"The Prince of Bel-Air? This planet has such low standards for rulers."|
|"Stark, I think you've lost one of your parts."|
|"With a snap of my fingers, they'll have to call you "Mr. Hemispherewide"."|
|"You would not believe your eyes if all your precious Youkai across the world perished before me."|
|"Your "entertainment" only serves as a distraction from the sheer imbalance of your world."|
|"You waste your extraterrestrial abilities on dancing? Pitiful."|
|"Your attempts to balance the world are laughable."|
|"Humans do not deserve the likes of you inferior creatures."|
|"Your entire life has been spent fighting a worthless cause."|
|"A warrior of the stars? Perhaps you'd be interested in aiding my cause."|
|"When we're done, your criminal duo will have become a sole act."|
|"You should've gone for the head, too."|
|"You are a true parody of the human race."|
|"At least he had fine musical taste, it was an honor to snap him."|
|"Yell and scream all you want, there's no changing your destiny to fall by my hand."|
|"Tell your men in black they're next."|
|"True to your name - as stupid as a dog."|
|"I'd like to make myself believe Gensokyo dies slowly."|
|"You were just as pathetic in real life as you were in Fortnite."|
|"Titanians remain the surperior race."|
|"As mundane as it is, humans can have their silly... entertainment, while it lasts."|
|"No one is truly off the hook from their ultimate demise."|
|"Hide like the coward you are."|
|"A child's plaything. Waste of my time."|
|"Ultimate is now perfectly balanced, as all things should be."|
- "With the newfound power of Disney behind him, Thanos re-enters the fight! After the previous tournament upset the balance of the universe, this Deviant once again seeks to restore it. Gauntlet on his fist and mouse cap on his head, the Mad Titan is prepared to win the tournament, and, of course, celebrate by going to Disneyland with those sweet half-length lines — there is only a 1 in 14,000,605 chance that he won’t!"
- ―Thanos' description on the MOJO!!
Thanos returns in the King for Another Day Tournament. He now wears a Mickey Mouse costume, referencing Disney's ownership of Marvel. His source list has been expanded to include songs from mainline Disney canon and theme parks, music from Walt Disney Studios and Pixar films, and music from the Star Wars series. Fortnite music has been removed from the list, probably due to Thanos' appearance in Fortnite not being relevant anymore.
In Round 1, Thanos went up against Dr. Piccolo and lost, but in Round 1 of the Loser's Bracket, he defeated Pitbull and the Aliens. He faced off against Donkey Kong in Round 2 of the Loser's Bracket and was eliminated.
Lines without a link come from the "All Vs/Victory Lines" video.
|"I'd say I'm impressed you managed to cling to life after our last encounter, but beneath that metal body you're still the same weak minded materialistic pest."|
|"You are merely a simulacrum, a mockery of true life. Your arm cannon cannot hold a candle to my power."|
|"The apocalypse that led to your species' uprising was inevitable. And so am I."|
|"How typical, yet petty of humans to rely on the work of others to gain worthless clout."|
|"I would pity the both of you for teaming up with a human buffoon, but I see you both are no better."|
|"You will not be so lucky this time around, Fils-Aime."|
|"You erase memories, while I erase lives."|
|"Do you really believe mere bullets can stop me? Pathetic."|
|"My corporate overlords would be glad to take your company off your hands."|
|"If a hammer-wielding god fell before me, what makes you think you stand a chance?"|
|"Hmph, maybe you'll put up more of a fight than the last super soldier I fought."|
|"The concept of love? I once knew of something like that..."|
|"Stand down now, or else you may never be seen again."|
|"Silence slowly kills you? One snap of my finger will do so in an instant."|
|"Such bravado in the presence of your oblivion? More foolish than courageous."|
|"Your insatiable greed has destroyed even the lives of those who fuel it. Your very presence in this realm makes me sick."|
|"So you do not require the Reality Stone to shape the algorithm in your image..."|
|"How could someone as pathetic as you be considered an "evil mastermind"?"|
|"Your little... Minions... are nothing compared to my whole army."|
|"Your pompous attitude will inevitably be your downfall. Don't go losing your head now."|
|"After Main Street becomes the biggest street in the galaxy, yours will be reduced to atoms."|
|"The last Doctor who tried to oppose me only ended up handing over exactly what I wanted."|
|"Why make a game in the virtual world when I can make reality whatever I want it to be?"|
|"Is the Reality Stone playing tricks on me, or is this... petty pile of metal really that which opposes me...?"|
|"You make it seem like it's a world of cheers. Don't deny the reality that it's a world of tears."|
|"Only humans could find enjoyment in simple minded entertainment like this."|
|"It seems like I've really scraped the bottom of the barrel with you."|
|"A corrupt being. A symbol of this universe's crippling imbalance."|
|"Are these Flerkens...? No matter. None shall stand between me and the proper balance of this universe."|
|"So you are the... "Rap God?" I've battled against gods...you are definitely not one."|
|"I think it may be time to restore order in this universe."|
|"Killing you would do the universe a favor. However, I am forced to grant you my mercy under my contract. How...unbalanced."|
|"And so ends the star wars..."|
|"You can swim back to whatever hole you came from, I've got bigger fish to fry."|
|"And all that just for a drop of it..."|
|"Do you really think being "Mr. Worldwide" of one stubborn planet could ever be as substantial as saving the population universe-wide?"|
|"You should've gone for my balls. My fat fucking nuts."|
|"I feel your pain, Smith. Disney has truly been a curse on you as of late. You have my pity."|
|"And so falls the intoxicated fool."|
|"Shame you didn't take my offer. It would've made the two of you filthy rich."|
|"As a fighter, and a ruler, you fail in both endeavours. Such a waste."|
|"Snake...you have my respect. I hope the half of the humans left on Earth remember you for your sacrifice."|
|"Your music sounds... relatively okay for your species. Maybe we can get you on the Camp Rock reboot."|
|"I've known a valorous robot like you who doesn't like talking. You're lucky you're not as defective as her."|
|"You've just followed a map to your own downfall and there's nothing you can do."|
|"I must say, out of every human on Earth, you are the most dimwitted I've ever encountered."|
|"The way I see it, you'll have until sunset before the Soul Stone hits your lower intestine."|
|"You also say you're a traveler of time, without the Time Stone? Impressive. Maybe if you weren't a puny human, we could have been a team."|
|"I request that you cease and desist all uses of any Disney properties. If you do not comply, you will be erased from existence."|
|"More scrap metal..."|
|"As foolish as you are, your valiance is truly admirable. I hope the rest of human- and monsterkind remember you as a hero."|
|"I'm sorry, little one..."|
|"There is nothing like a daily dose of a balanced universe."|
|"Your "personas" are nothing more than an illusion; one that I can easily erase."|
|"I won't even boast about how ridiculously simple it was to wipe the floor with... whatever you are."|
|"Ah yes, the peaceful music of a small world... as it should be."|
|"Hmm, maybe this nonsensical entertainment would be good for my employer."|
|"Even a simple-minded creature like you couldn't comprehend the needs of your own island."|
|"Witness now how I wield supreme power! I understand now."|
|"The Countdown until I restore balance is just beginning..."|
|"The snap of my fingers can take off your undergarments faster than your own product... pathetic..."|
|"Don't fret, you both would make good lawyers for my overlords."|
King for a Day
King for Another Day
- Despite Fortnite-related rips being removed from Thanos' source list in the King for Another Day Tournament, the music for the tournament's reveal trailer still uses the "Dance Moves" Fortnite emote theme to represent him, likely due to his source list not being decided yet.
- In King for Another Day, Thanos is the only non-faceless character whose face is not focused on during his VS. screen. Instead, the camera zooms into his crotch.
- In his King for Another Day background art, there are a few small hidden Mickey shaped heads around him. The shadow also resembles this.
King for a Day
- His victory quote against King Dedede references his line "You should've gone for the head." from Avengers: Infinity War.
- His victory quote against Wario Bros. references the "Perfectly Balanced" meme said by him in Avengers: Infinity War.
King for Another Day
- His vs. quote against Metal Ajit Pai references his loss against Thanos in the first round from the previous King for a Day Tournament.
- His victory quote against Geno references the film series Star Wars.
- His vs. quote against Off the Hook ft. Paruko references his line "I am inevitable." from the movie Avengers: Endgame.
- His victory quote against "Weird Al" Yankovic references his line "All that for a drop of blood...", used as a meme usually replacing the word "blood".
- His victory quote against Nintendo Power references a meme which replaces his line in Avengers: Infinity War "You should've gone for the head.".
- His vs. quotes against King Dedede and Solid Snake are references to Thor and Captain America respectively. Specifically the encounters they had in Avengers: Infinity War.
- His vs. quote against DJ Professor K references Thanos' love for "Death", which his love for her basically started the comic arc of Infinity Gauntlet. A reference to the Jet Set Radio Future song "The Concept of Love" is also made here.
- His vs. quote against Quote references a message in Cave Story that appears when Quote falls or jump off the island, resulting in an instant death.
- His victory quote against Quote is a reference to Thanos' adopted daughter, Nebula.
- His vs. quote against Adam Levine references the Maroon 5 song "Misery".
- His victory quote against Adam Levine references the Maroon 5 song "Maps".
- His victory quote against Mr. Krabs references a scene from the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Dying for Pie", where Mr. Krabs puts up his thoughts after SpongeBob took the bomb pie. At another point, SpongeBob answered that "watching the sunset with Squidward" is the last thing on the list, making Squidward thinks of what Mr. Krabs has said earlier, but also said that until sunset "the bomb will hit his lower intestine".
- His vs. quote against Mariya Takeuchi is a reference to the popularity of her song "Plastic Love" on YouTube.
- His victory quote against Dr. Robotnik references Toon Disney's airing of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.
- His vs. quote against Daft Punk ft. Pharrell is a reference to his army from the Avengers movies Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame.
- His victory quote against Daft Punk ft. Pharrell is a nod to his victory quote against Unregistered HyperCam 2 in the previous King for a Day tournament, in which he said the same thing.
- His vs. quote against Papyrus indirectly references Papyrus' death in Undertale, where he was beheaded before dissolving into dust.
- His vs. quote against Jack & Elmo references Main Street, U.S.A., a themed land inside the main entrance of the Disneyland parks as well as the quote "Gone, reduced to atoms." said by him in Avengers: Endgame.
- His victory quote against Jack & Elmo is a reference to Avengers: Infinity War. In that movie, Thanos sacrifices someone while sadly saying "I'm sorry, little one..."
- His vs. quote against Dr. Piccolo is a reference to Doctor Strange in the movie Avengers: Infinity War.
- His victory quote against Dr. Piccolo references the Daily Dose meme.
- His vs. quote against Jack Bros. references his line "Reality can be whatever I want." from the movie Avengers: Infinity War.
- His quotes against Rhythm Masters references the song "It's a Small World".
- His victory quote against MissingNo. references the arcade version of Thanos' ending in Marvel Super Heroes where all of the dialogue is taken from Magneto's ending due to a glitch.
- His vs. quote against The Jazz Cats references the Flerken species, who are alien creatures resembling cats.
- His victory quote against The Jazz Cats is a reference to jazz standard "Countdown".
- His vs. quote against Eminem references his song "Rap God".
- His victory quote against Eminem references the end of D12's "My Band".