The Jazz Cats are a trio of cats consisting of Shades DuPris, Tom "Milk Bowl" Malone, and sphelonious donk. They are contestants in the King for Another Day Tournament.
- "Sights set on winning, the Jazz Cats join the jam! Shades is ready to cut the competition with his nasty bebop licks. Milk Bowl is preparing the dirtiest chord you’ve ever heard. And sphelonious donk. These three felines will whip out any tune in the Real Book just to taste the catnip of victory."
- ―The Jazz Cats' description on the MOJO!!
The Jazz Cats were properly revealed in the "SiIvaGunner: King for Another Day Tournament Direct 9.21.2019". Their source list consists of jazz arrangements of game tracks, rips featuring jazz standards such as "'Round Midnight", "Don’t Get Around Much Anymore", and "So What", The Lick, rips featuring songs by modern jazz/funk artists such as Louis Cole, Vulfpeck, and Hiatus Kaiyote, and rips featuring cat-related songs such as "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", "Eye of the Tiger", Cat Stevens songs, and Pussycat Dolls songs.
Lines without a link come from the "All Vs/Victory Lines" video.
|Against||The Jazz Cats's quote|
|"ｇｉｖｅ ｆｉｄｇｅｔ ｓｐｉｎｎｅｒ"|
|"We're gonna fly you to the moon, but we're not gonna let you play among the stars..."|
|"Hot take: your parodies are just shitty contrafacts."|
|"Mr. 305, meet Mr. 251."|
|"Your body is ready, but what about your soul?"|
|"The only thing out of this world is Nai Palm's voice, so stay in your fucking lane, green freaks."|
|"Booze is some weak shit. Do heroin like real musicians."|
|"If you're gonna snap, do it on 2 and 4, dickhead."|
|"Yo, Wario! When we said stank, we weren't talking about your ass."|
|"Adopt us? You're delusional. You'll have to take some giant steps to get up to our level, pal."|
|"Don't you think that's enough cloning? I really hope there will never be another you."|
|"ｒｅｃｏｒｄ ｓｃｒａｔｃｈｅｓ．．． ｃａｔ ｓｃｒａｔｃｈｅｓ．．． ｉｒｏｎｉｃ"|
|"ｍｉｍｉｇａ ｄｅｅｚ ｎｕｔｓ"|
|"Not planning on losing to someone who's entire catalogue is more repetitive than the A section to One Note Samba."|
|"All that time spent building muscle, and you can't even carry a tune."|
|"ｇｒｅｅｄ ｗｉｌｌ ｄｅｓｔｒｏｙ ｙｏｕ"|
|"You took more choruses at the end of Plastic Love than a freshman at Wally's."|
|"Show me the bass skills of Charles Pingas."|
|"Your music is so fucking bland, a Post-Modern Jukebox cover is inevitable."|
|"Just like any bone section, immature and fucking outclassed by everyone in the room."|
|"Bet you can't even rip that sax of Blue Bossa."|
|"Tell Vegeta that "take the head" wasn't literal."|
|"Last Surprise? Please. Much like my roommate, everyone saw it coming."|
|"ｗｅ ｍｅｅｔ ａｇａｉｎ， ｍｉｘｅｒ"|
|"Rhythm Masters? I don't think so... Where is Gene Krupa? Buddy Rich?"|
|"This is one W you aren't going to get."|
|"DK Rap isn't real music."|
|"Even Jacob Collier can't harmonize your cacophonous bullshit."|
|"Your glorified scat is just that: holy shit."|
|"That's a cool name for my free jazz group. I think I'll steal it!"|
|Against||The Jazz Cats's quote|
|"Just like a Louis Cole solo show, low band width."|
|"Is this doll made of satin? It's certainly flippin'."|
|"Maria Schneider called to let you know writing for accordion was a mistake."|
|"Turns out you weren't as worldwide as the hexatonic agumented scale... Shiiiiiiiiid."|
|"You can't translate soul."|
|"So-called "Jazzy" Jeff's a fucking liar and you knew it."|
|"Talk about a bitch's brew."|
|"Clean those dirty chords up, man. You don't deserve them."|
|"Shame, a hammer as big as your head, and you can't even hit the changes."|
|"ｉ ｗｉｌｌ ｆｕｌｆｉｌｌ ｔｈｅ ｐｒｏｐｈｅｃｙ ａｎｄ ｓｌａｙ ｈｉｄｅｏ ｋｏｊｉｍａ"|
|"How about you sample a real instrument next time?"|
|"Get back in your omnibook, Quote."|
|"Now PJ Morton is free to make better music again."|
|"Less time in the mirror, more time in the shed!"|
|"Too bad plastic ain't supreme."|
|"ｆｏｌｌｏｗ ｍｉｎｉｏｎｓ ｗｏｒｌｄ ｏｎ ｆａｃｅｂｏｏｋ ｆｏｒ ｙｏｕｒ ｄａｉｌｙ ｍｉｎｉｏｎ ｃｏｎｔｅｎｔ"|
|"Your chances of winning just went saxaboom!"|
|"Shoulda gotten your daily dose of practice in."|
|"ｊａｃｋ ｂｒｏｓ．．． ｏｆｆ"|
|"Someone call Chet... We need a new Baker."|
|"Guess Kamasi was right. It changes."|
|"ｏｎｌｙ ｏｎｅ ｄｏｎｋ"|
|"Get ready for my next release: Turnabout Neo Soul!"|
- They and HOBaRT are the only original characters in the King for Another Day Tournament. However, The Jazz Cats are based of a painting by thebluecat of the same name.
- The names of the three cats have different origins:
- sphelonious donk is a play on Thelonious Monk.
- Shades DuPris is an original name based on the fact that Shades is always wearing sunglasses. It could also be a reference to The Duprees, a famous doo-wop group.
- In a Discord post, wolfman1405 noted that "Tom 'Milk Bowl' Malone" was one of the four names suggested by a friend when asked, "he's a cat. and he's a jazzy motherfucker, whats his name?" His name could also be based on the jazz musician Tom "Bones" Malone.
- According to their reveal trailer, the Flintstones theme is "a jazz standard and in no way at all a meme."
- They and Papyrus are the only ones to use unique fonts in their quotes.
- In The Jazz Cats' case, donk uses the "Vaporwave font".
- Their victory quote against Metal Ajit Pai references the Knower musician Louis Cole.
- Their vs. quote against Geno references pop standard "Fly Me to the Moon".
- Their victory quote against Geno references jazz standard "Satin Doll".
- Their vs. quote against Off the Hook ft. Paruko references Judd's "Meow!" line used in most of his dialogue from the Splatoon series. The second "meow" in the quote could reference the advises Judd gives after his line but changed in favor of donk.
- Their vs. quote against "Weird Al" Yankovic references the musical work contrafacts, which, in jazz, is often used as a borrowed chord progression.
- Their victory quote against "Weird Al" Yankovic references the jazz musician Maria Schneider.
- Their vs. quote against Pitbull and the Aliens references the 2-5-1 or ii-V-I chord progression, which is commonly used in jazz.
- Their victory quote against Pitbull and the Aliens references the hexatonic augmented scale, which is used in jazz.
- Their vs. quote against Nintendo Power references jazz standard "Body and Soul".
- Their vs. quote against Men in Black references Hiatus Kaiyote vocalist Nai Palm.
- Their victory quote against Men in Black references DJ Jazzy Jeff who was originally collaborated with Will Smith into a duo called DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince.
- Their vs. quote against ZUN references the heroin epidemic with jazz in the 1940's-50's period.
- Their victory quote against ZUN references the Miles Davis album Bitches Brew.
- Their vs. quote against Thanos references how most jazz (and 4/4 music in general) is written so the audience claps on beats 2 and 4 (the backbeat) as opposed to beats 1 and 3.
- Their victory quote against Thanos references the "Perfectly Balanced" meme said by him in the film Avengers: Infinity War.
- Their vs. quote against King Dedede references jazz standard "Giant Steps" by John Coltrane.
- Their vs. quote against Solid Snake references jazz standard "There Will Never Be Another You". It also references Snake and his other two brothers being artificially cloned from Big Boss.
- Their victory quote against Solid Snake references the initial creator of the Metal Gear series, Hideo Kojima.
- Their vs. quote against Quote references the Mimiga species from the game Cave Story and the "Deez Nuts" meme.
- Their victory quote against Quote references the Charlie Parker Omnibook, a collection of transcriptions of compositions and improvised solos by jazz saxophonist Charlie Parker.
- Their vs. quote against Adam Levine is a reference to the bossa nova song "One Note Samba" by Antônio Carlos Jobim.
- Their victory quote against Adam Levine references Maroon 5 keyboardist PJ Morton.
- Their victory quote against Johnny Bravo reference the albums Time's Mirror and Deep in the Shed.
- Their vs. quote against Mariya Takeuchi references the jazz club Wally's Cafe.
- Their victory quote against Mariya Takeuchi references the John Coltrane album A Love Supreme.
- Their vs. quote against Dr. Robotnik is a play on words on the name of jazz musician Charles Mingus.
- Their victory quote against Dr. Robotnik is a reference to a viral Twitter thread where a man argued in favor of assault rifles so he could "kill the 30-50 feral hogs" that frequently invaded his lawn.
- Their vs. quote against Daft Punk ft. Pharrell is a reference to the musical collective Postmodern Jukebox.
- Their victory quote against Daft Punk ft. Pharrell references the Facebook account Minions World, an account that posts content related to minions from the Despicable Me series.
- Their vs. quote against Jack and Elmo references jazz standard "Blue Bossa".
- Their victory quote against Jack and Elmo references the Sax-A-Boom instrument that Jack Black usually plays and the song it's named after.
- Their victory quote against Dr. Piccolo references the Daily Dose meme.
- Their vs. quote against Jack Bros. references the Persona 5 song "Last Surprise".
- Their vs. quote against HOBaRT references a scene from The Jazz Cat's reveal trailer where a broken mixer resembling HOBaRT is seen next to donk's dumpster.
- Their victory quote against HOBaRT is a play on words on the name of jazz trumpeter Chet Baker.
- Their vs. quote against Rhythm Masters references jazz drummers Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich.
- Their victory quote against Rhythm Masters references "The Rhythm Changes" by Kamasi Washington.
- Their vs. quote against Nico Nico is a reference to how Japanese internet users will often type "w" as shorthand for laughing.
- Their vs. quote against MissingNo. references the musician Jacob Collier.
- Their vs. quote against Eminem references the many times he mentioned the word "shit" in his songs such as "The Real Slim Shady" and "My Fault".
- Their victory quote against Law and Disorder references the Ace Attorney album Gyakuten Meets Jazz Soul, which is also known as Turnabout Jazz Soul.