ZUN is a Japanese game developer mostly known for creating the Touhou series. He is a competitor in the King for a Day Tournaments. He was selected as a popular fan submission by combining all votes for Touhou characters, and was #6 overall in the ballot.
ZUN was the ninth competitor revealed on July 20, 2018. His source list included rips from the Touhou series, as well as other games he has worked on.
Lines without a link come from the "All Victory Fanfares and VS Lines!" video.
|"Even with all that food you're inhaling, there's no way you can keep up with me!"|
|"Try writing a parody of my music, you American buffoon!"|
|"What kind of music is this? Where's the endless arpeggios?"|
|"Go ahead and down that entire bottle Bacardi on the shelf, then it'll be a real battle"|
|"There are far better things you could be sipping out of a champagne glass."|
|"No amount of tutorials can help you beat me on Lunatic!"|
|"You're the last guy I'd want to get drunk with."|
|"You can keep promoting games while I actually make them."|
|"These are some of the stranger Youkai I've encountered..."|
|"That's a nice mug you got there! I propose a toast to your bitter defeat!"|
|"If balance if what you seek, allow me to show you Marisa B."|
|"Ah! You three are perfect! May I interest you ladies a spot in a surperior shooter?"|
|"You definitely look too old to be in a Touhou game."|
|"A doll?? Is this some kind of knockoff Shanghai cosplay?"|
|"So you're gonna use that money to take me out for a drink, right?"|
|"You should let me borrow Kabula sometime: it'll make a nice Stage 1 midboss!"|
|"The trumpet was always better than the accordian!"|
|"Let's see how your spirit will fare in Gensokyo-to!"|
|"Now that you've got nothing better to do, why not play one of my games?"|
|"Yo home to Gensokyo!"|
|"Next time, adjust your lens so they can focus."|
|"Spell Card: "Maldito Alcohol"!"|
|"That's for not putting any mainline Touhou games on the Switch."|
|"Go back to your unidentified flying object."|
|"Looks like the FCC can't pull off a 1CC."|
|"Give those gems back to Patchouli, thank you."|
|"Ahh, come on, you three are such lightweights! We've only done 5 shots together!"|
|"Hold "Shift" for focused movement."|
|"Maybe Alice will have a use for you after all."|
|"Face facts, Wario: You've got no beer to drink back home, plus you just lost to ME!"|
- "With his imperishable love for alcohol, and his influences on his sleeve (along with the rest of his shirt), ZUN is ready to re-enter the tournament! He’s the embodiment of bullet heck with music that spans across the entire bullet hell genre. Anybody who crosses his path better be prepared for a carousel of agony!"
- ―ZUN's description on the MOJO!!
Lines in bold were used in the tournaments.
|"No matter how many times you try to shoot your beam, you will never hit me."|
|"Tell me you three don't have a dead sister too..."|
|"Huh, I knew you were canon in JoJo, but you're a stand user too?"|
|"Aliens? Don't you usually have a gang of crazy backup dancers?"|
|"One is planned to come and is preparing. Please watch warmly until it's ready."|
|"Hey, an alien."|
|"A purple near-omnipotent villain? Do you have a shikigami too?"|
|"These two seem like a worst, most disastrous pair."|
|"You may be a big eater, but I'd bet Yuyuko could take you on."|
|"Just try sneaking around this danmaku."|
|"Pirate radio... reminds me of the doujin spirit."|
|"Indie versus doujin, let's have at it!"|
|"Maroon? I prefer scarlet."|
|"I hate to break it to you, but regardless of what some websites might say, everyone in Gensokyo is gay."|
|"A drunken sailor? I'm afraid I only qualify for half of that."|
|"「Plastic Love」? 「プラスチックマインド」なんてどうでしょう?"|
|"Is today the first? I wasn't expecting a visit from any doctors today."|
|"Performers who rely on special headwear to show expression? Interesting..."|
|"Dodging bones instead of bullets? What a groundbreaking new technique!"|
|"Human-youkai relations sure have improved..."|
|"Doctor, about that "daily dose"... have you ever heard the saying, "Good medicine tastes bad"?"|
|"An ice fairy and a butterfly? Have I met you two before?"|
|"...Is this a tsukumogami, or some kind of joke?"|
|"Classical Japanese instruments! That's real hip with the kids, dawg."|
|"I see you are all fans of my work! Although your parodies are simply pure insanity..."|
|"Just look up and watch the skies, because that's where I'll be shooting you from!"|
|"Curious... are you some kind of enenra?"|
|"I'd introduce you to Orin, but she'll probably swing by to get you three after this anyway."|
|"Your salsa band could use a trumpeter. Allow me to audition for you."|
|"Forgive me for what I must Yamaxanadu."|
|"Throttled internet will never kill the doujin spirit!"|
|"You might put up a better fight if you covered yourself in the lily-of-the-valley."|
|"You’re nothing but a phantom ensemble now."|
|"I think you’d get along my friend Sakuya."|
|"Your fireball is nothing compared to my danmaku!"|
|"Smash Bros. could use some more female characters; do you have Sakurai’s phone number?"|
|"You wouldn’t know a tanuki in your ranks, would you?"|
|"Perhaps try snapping less and gapping more."|
|"How much of your gold can I take in two minutes?"|
|"I know some rabbits that would love that mallet of yours."|
|"I hear you love boxes. There’s an interesting one over at the Hakurei Shrine you should put your money into some time"|
|"If you wanted to be even more pirate-like, you could start drinking like me."|
|"If you want a real "cave story", just go play Subterranean Animism!"|
|"This love-colored master spark has taken its toll on you."|
|"Your ego reminds me of a little fairy I know..."|
|"Why don’t we both go out for a drink sometime? Don’t fret it’s on me!"|
|"Moriyas over Mariyas."|
|"Please don’t blow up the Moon, I have friends up there."|
|"If you want to get lucky, I know a rabbit that can help."|
|"You wouldn’t last a second in a REAL bullet hell game, my friend."|
|"Perhaps now you can teach humanity the decimal system?"|
|"Well, you wouldn’t know if it’s good medicine or not unless you drank it for yourself!"|
|"”Explorer”? Never heard of it. Nope, not at all."|
|"The kappa will probably appreciate your parts."|
|"Can you get me in touch with your dev teams? I’d like to pitch an idea I had for Trumpet Hero."|
|"I appreciate the offer on the ➈ Coarse Tea and Van Houten brownies but I already have myself a drink."|
|"I’m sure Ms. Ibaraki wouldn’t mind another pet."|
|"Rest in peace, Rin Satsuki."|
|"That jazz band real could’ve used a trumpet."|
|"If that’s how we’re going to talk, fine. Now, bitch, get out of the way!"|
|"I beat you once, but prepare for a second helping once Eiki sees to you!"|
- A Reimu Fumo appears in ZUN's pocket single, a type of small plushies known for their expensive prices and their well-known presence in the Touhou community. According to Lenox, co-creator of ZUN's character portrait, it was added in reference to Munchie in Eight's pocket on the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate render of Hero.
- ZUN's jacket has been stated to be based off danmaku patterns from multiple games such as Ikuruga as a way of representing all of bullet-hell games, and not limited to only Touhou.
- Suika Ibuki's sake bottle can be found with ZUN in both his King for a Day and King for Another Day portraits.
- On the geometry of ZUN's portrait, the shape of an apple can be found, alluding to "Bad Apple", the Stage 4 theme to Lotus Land Story and also a very popular song within and outside of the Touhou community thanks to a shadow art music video featuring a remix of the song.
- Three trumpets can also be found in the geometry, referencing ZUN's high usage of the Romantic Trumpet preset (or "ZUNpet" (ＺＵＮペット) as many fans nickname it) in his music.
King for a DayEdit
- His victory quote against Unregistered Hypercam 2 and Solid Snake references the Focus Button.
- His victory quote against Dancing Alien Team directly names Touhou 12: Unidentified Fantastic Object.
- His vs. quote against Thanos references Marisa B, a shot type for Marisa Kirisame in Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith. This shot type is infamous for being bugged to deal more damage to targets than intended.
- His quotes against Geno reference Alice Margatroid.
King for Another DayEdit
- A large sum of ZUN's quotes include references to the Touhou Project including its characters, music, and other references.
- His vs. quote includes ZUN mistaking Metal Ajit Pai for Hisoutensoku, a large orange robot featured in Touhou 12.3: Hisoutensoku.
- His victory quote against Geno mentions lillies-of-the-valley, a highly poisonous woodland plant that is found in the Nameless Hill where Medicine Melancholy is battled on.
- His quotes against Off the Hook ft. Paruko make reference of the Prismriver Sisters, as well as reference the dead fourth sister Layla Prismriver.
- His victory quote against "Weird Al" Yankovic mentions Sakuya Izayoi, who ZUN thinks would get along well with the two. This references the relation between Sakuya and Dio Brando, two characters that can utilize the manipulation of time and knife-wielding abilities.
- His vs. quote against Pitbull and the Aliens is a reference to Mai Teireida and Satono Nishida's theme "Crazy Backup Dancers".
- His vs. quote against Nintendo Power reference the startup text of Touhou games, "Girls are now preparing, please wait warmly and have some tea".
- His vs. quote against Men in Black is a play on Nue Houjuu's theme "Heian Alien".
- His victory quote against Men in Black is a direct reference to Mamizou Futatsuiwa's Last Word from Touhou 14.5: Urban Legend in Limbo and Touhou 15.5: Antinomy of Common Flowers, a spell card in which she dresses up as an MiB and erases the opponent's memory.
- His quotes against Thanos reference Yukari Yakumo, a character that wears clothes and has a shikigami.
- His vs. quote against Wario Partners, LLP reference the Yorigami Sisters Shion and Joon, referred to as the "Worst, Most Disastrous Pair".
- His victory quote against Wario Partners, LLP reference Gold Rush, a one-stage danmaku game where the player (as Seija Kijin) gathers as much gold as they can in under a few minutes.
- His vs. quote against King Dedede mention Yuyuko Saigouji, known to many for being a gluttonous eater.
- His victory quotes against King Dedede reference the wooden mochi-mashing mallets rabbits such as Seiran wield.
- His victory quote against Solid Snake references Reimu Hakurei, the main protagonist of the Touhou series known for trying to convince others to donate to her shrine.
- His vs. quote against DJ Professor K reference Murasa Minamitsu, the victim of a drowning accident who became a spirit after her death.
- His victory quote against Quote mention Subterranean Animism, the 11th installment to the main Touhou Project game lineup. The game's setting takes place in the Underworld.
- His vs. quote against Adam Levine alludes to the Scarlet sisters Remilia and Flandre, as well as the Scarlet Mist Incident.
- His victory quote against Adam Levine references Marisa Kirisame's signature spell card "Love-Colored Master Spark" while reciting the chorus of Maroon 5's "This Love".
- His victory quote against Johnny Bravo and vs. quote against Jack Bros. references the ice fairy character Cirno.
- His vs. quote against Jack Bros. also references the butterfly youkai Eternity Larva.
- His vs. quote against Mariya Takeuchi references the song "Plastic Mind", Alice Margatroid's theme from Mystic Square.
- His victory quote against Mariya Takeuchi mentions Moriya, which can reference either the Moriya Shrine, a shrine dedicated to Shintoism, or Suwako Moriya, the original god of the shrine.
- His victory quote against Dr. Robotnik references SnapCube's Real-Time Fandub of Sonic Adventure 2 where Eggman uses his super laser piss to blow up the moon. A reference to the moon rabbits and Lunarians are also made, as they are residents of the moon.
- His vs. quote against Daft Punk ft. Pharrell reference the character Hata no Kokoro, who relies on using her masks to represent her emotions to others, as her face is emotionless.
- His victory quote against Daft Punk ft. Pharrell reference the character Tewi Inaba, the leader of many youkai rabbits who is known as the "Rabbit of Good Fortune" to humans, for the good luck she brought them. A reference to Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" is also made here.
- His quotes against Dr. Piccolo reference Reimu Hakurei's interactions with Rumia in Stage 1 of Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.
- His victory quote against Jack Bros. references the Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II song "Explorer", which in itself references how Utsuho Reiuji's theme "Nuclear Fusion" and Yumemi's theme "Strawberry Crisis" is inspired by this song.
- His vs. quote against HOBaRT mentions tsukumogami, a type of youkai that originally are ordinary tool or objects until they gain sentience on the 100th anniversary of their creation.
- His victory quote against HOBaRT alludes to the Kappa, a type of youkai that live inand can manipulate water, are fond of cucumbers, and their strong technological abilities.
- His victory quote against Donkey Kong references the character Ibaraki Kasen, the protagonist of Wild and Horned Hermit and a Sage of Gensokyo who can communicate and summon with animals.
- His vs. quote against MissingNo. mentions enenra, a type of youkai that is a spirit composed of smoke that resides in bonfires or rises out of houses, and can only be seen by the pure-hearted.
- His victory quote against MissingNo. references the third unused protagonist of Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, Rin Satsuki. She was cut due to time restraints.
- His vs. quote against The Jazz Cats mentions Rin "Orin" Kaenbyou, Satori's cat-like pet that carries corpses to the Hell of Blazing Fires to regulate the heat.
- His victory quote against Eminem uses a direct line from Marisa Kirisame in Stage 4 of Touhou 8 Imperishable Night's fan-translation that included the use of strong language.
- His quotes against Law & Disorder directly reference Eiki Shiki, Yamaxanadu, a Yama who judges the dead and decide whether they go to Heaven, Hell, the Netherworld, or get reincarnated.
- His vs. quote against "Weird Al" Yankovic references the mention of him as well as his song "Eat It" in the final episode of Stardust Crusaders.
- His victory quote against Nintendo Power reference the idea and fan wishes of Reimu Hakurei appearing in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
- His vs. quote against Johnny Bravo references a fake interview by Animemaru that includes ZUN remarking that "nobody in Gensokyo is gay", but the line has been altered to have the opposite meaning.
- His vs. quote against Mr. Krabs references the popular sea shanty "Drunken Sailor".
- His vs. quote against Dr. Robotnik references the "MONTH FIRST" series, a collection of YTPMVs by Philiponbread that includes Team Fortress 2 sources over Touhou music.
- His victory quote against Papyrus is an old reference to Undertale fans complaining about Undertale being a hard game because of its bullet-hell elements in its battle system, to which Touhou fans jokingly remarked on the situation given that some Touhou games are known for their notoriously insane difficulty in the bullet hell genre.
- His vs. quote against Nico Nico references the popularity of Touhou on Nico Nico Douga, usually its frequent use in IOSYS parodies.
- His victory quote against Nico Nico mentions "⑨ Coarse Tea (⑨番茶)" and "Van Houten brownies", the drinks and sweets featured in "Alice and Marisa's Cookie Kiss", a popular Nico Nico Douga meme and MAD source.
- His vs. quote against Donkey Kong references the title of the Donkey Kong Country cartoon episode "Watch the Skies".